A couple of weeks ago we were plagued with a bout of gastroenteritis around our household, not to mention a few other friends and family members close by. It’s not fun and despite the fact that we eat healthy, sleep well and take care of ourselves, there are times we come down with illnesses. Thankfully, there are Homeopathic remedies to come to our aid and can help heal and shorten the length of the illness.
Following are a few of the most widely used remedies for gastroenteritis. My hope is that you will never need them for this reason but if there comes a time, as we’ve all had at one point or another in our lives, one of these may help you to obtain a quick and speedy recovery. The symptoms included may not be pretty, but gastro illnesses usually aren’t so here we go:
- Aloe – Diarrhea with a sudden urge. Possible involuntary stool with flatus. Mucus and/or blood may be present.
- Arsenicum Album – Extreme stomach pains that are worse with milk or dairy products. Food poisoning (of any kind). Acrid diarrhea with watery stool.
- Bismuth – Severe cramping, pain or burning in the stomach. Great thirst for cold water. Profuse diarrhea. In addition, the person who would need this remedy desires company during their illness and may have a great fear of death.
- Bryonia – Gastroenteritis that is worse with any movement. The person needing this remedy also may just want everyone to leave them alone. Hides in dark room and wishes not to be bothered.
- Croton Tiglium – Abdominal rumbling with sudden diarrhea. Incredibly urgent diarrhea. Diarrhea that comes immediately after eating or drinking.
- Gambogia – Diarrhea and vomiting together. Sudden urge for stool. Burning or stitching pains before diarrhea. Exhaustion after diarrhea. Stool may contain blood.
- Mercurius – Constant urge for stool. Straining that is undiminished after passing stool. May be bloody and mucus filled. Stool feels hot.
- Nux Vomica – Diarrhea after drinking too much alcohol.
- Petroleum – Ravenous appetite during diarrhea or after stool. Diarrhea in the daytime only. Cramping before stool.
- Phos Ac – Painless diarrhea. Odorless. Involuntary. Profuse. Cases of collapse after long bouts of diarrhea.
- Podo – Profuse diarrhea. Worse at 4am, in the mornings and in the evenings. Worse with drinking, eating and heat. Very watery. Abdomen gurgles.
If you are ever unfortunate enough to have a case of gastroenteritis, the above remedies can aid in your recovery when correctly chosen. If you are unsure of which remedy is right for you, consult a certified Homeopathic practitioner for assistance. The above remedies can be taken in a 30C dose. 3 doses per day for 3 days. Stop taking the remedy when symptoms improve.
If your condition lasts for more than 3 days, is more severe or immediately life-threatening seek medical attention from a certified Homeopath, a licensed medical doctor and/or head to the emergency room, as you may have something other than a bacterial or viral infection.