Aconitum Napellus (Aconite for short) is a wonderful remedy to keep on hand for a variety of acute situations. It is the main remedy to take when you feel a common cold coming on. If you can catch it within the first 24 hours of onset this remedy will shorten the length and severity of the cold and/or stop it in it’s tracks, especially if it is a cold that comes on after getting chilled or being exposed to a cold, dry wind. It is also a wonderful remedy for acute panic attacks that come on quickly, which also makes it a wonderful remedy to take after a sudden shock or great fear, such as after an accident or traumatic event. In addition, it is one of the main remedies for the early stages of Croup.
In general, this remedy may display the following traits:
- Fear of crowds
- Panic attacks
- Anxiety after fright
- Sudden onset of symptoms (such as cold or cough)
- Aggravation from cold, dry wind
- One cheek may be red while the other is pale – this is especially noticeable in children
- Flushes of heat to the face
- Bitter taste in mouth
- Great thirst for cold drinks
Always call 911 if there is a life-threatening emergency!